Crews of prizes, part 2

The Mariner made her first and only capture off Hatteras on July 25th. Her prize, laden with fruit from Caracoa, Cuba, was the schooner Nathaniel Chase, commanded by Master Daniel Doane. She was taken to New Bern. The crew continued on to Raleigh in charge of Sergeant William M. Stevenson of the Washington Grays. With the exception of 5-6 days while enroute to Raleigh and back under armed guard to receive passports, the crewmen were held at Hatteras Inlet. They embarked on the schooner Priscilla on August 12th enroute for Baltimore, where they landed on the 16th.

One of the Nathaniel Chase crewmen, Charles H. Smith, joined the Union navy following his release. Smith earned a Congressional Medal of Honor for his part in the rescue of the USS Monitor’s crew while stationed on the USS Rhode Island. The Nathaniel Chase was sunk as an obstruction in the Neuse River near New Bern in early 1862.

The ninth prize taken off Hatteras, the William McGilvery, was captured 25 July 1861, the same day the Mariner captured the Nathaniel Chase. The privateer Gordon brought her into Hatteras Inlet with her load of 315 tierces of molasses enroute from Cardenas to Boston. She was carried to New Bern where she served as a storehouse.

The prisoners were sent up to Fort Hatteras, where they remained 3 hours. They were then put back on the steamer and placed in irons for the night. Sent back to the brig the following morning, they spent 4 days under a guard of 4 armed men. Transferred to New Bern, Ansley Israel was soon released and allowed to roam the city after he was proven to be a citizen of Nova Scotia. Two crewmen joined the crew of a privateer. The rest of the crew were sent north to Baltimore on the schooner Priscilla on 12 August 1861, arriving on the 16th of that month.

Next came the capture of the Protector on 28 July 1861 by the Gordon. She was hauling a cargo of 866 pineapples and 100 bunches of bananas from Matanzas to Philadelphia under the command of T.J. Linnekin. They were taken into Hatteras Inlet, After being detained a few days, Linnekin and his three crewmen – Thomas Ross, David S. Hart, and Eugene Unenca – were furnished with a pass from the marshall of the district of New Bern.

Procuring a small boat, he and his crew passed up the Pamlico Sound to Oregon Inlet, where his pass was endorsed by the commanding officer at Fort Oregon and they were permitted to pass on out the inlet into the Atlantic Ocean. On their way to Hampton Roads, they spotted the USS Savannah and headed in her direction. Their small boat came alongside the Savannah bearing a white flag. They were picked up and delivered to Fort Monroe.according to a report written by J.B. Hull of the Savannah on 4 August 1861.

To be continued….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s